Saturday 15 April 2017

Rusting, a quick dabble with the Rust language

I have spent a few spare moments in the last week looking at Rust, a relative new language.

With the kids on Easter break and naturally requiring frequent attention, and a few brief actual paid client work, I have not had as long uninterrupted time focused on Rust as I would have liked. But I have managed to knock together some basic code.



Rustic Pizza


I created github.com/flurdy/rustic-pizza as my playground with rust and various web frameworks. It is very basic code and I expect I will be quite embarrassed by it in just a few months but it is a start. Rustic pizza will eventually contain several very basic web applications each in a different Rust web frameworks, all for ordering pizza. The pizzeria is a concept that I have created many times over in Java and Scala as an example for piece of framework or similar, some of which I have documented on my flurdy.com website.


Experience so far


So far I have found Rust interesting. 

It perhaps use a bit too much of lazy abbreviated names for its keywords, primitives and core methods than I feel is reasonable, but that is me being pedantic. The ownership transfers, lifetimes and everything by reference is a bit of headfuck, but I think I got the hang of it. Rust does also have some of the monadic traits I am comfortable with from the Scala world, though its Futures seems to be somewhat in its infancy at the moment.


Install Rust


Rust can be installed in numerous ways, including via Brew for both Rust and Cargo, its build tool. But I recommend using Rustup, rustup.rs. Rustup lets you toggle between release and nightly version of Rust, and some frameworks require nightly builds.


Learning Rust


The main Rust website, rust-lang.org, is a good place to start to learn about Rust. Especially the "Rust book", https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/README.html, is a great source to learn about basic Rust concepts. Further reading at rustbyexample.com/index.html and aturon.github.io was very useful. As well as various blogs on Rust such as hoverbear.org and hermanradtke.com.

Once you start coding I also recommend the standard library documentation, doc.rust-lang.org/std/, to find out what methods are available, e.g. does option have map, and what is getOrElse called in rust (unwrap) etc.



Web frameworks


As I most of the time create web services or full webapps an important part of my interest is which web frameworks are available. Fortunately the Rust community also recognise the importance of this, so www.arewewebyet.org and github.com/flosse/rust-web-framework-comparison are great information on which frameworks and libraries are available with Rust.

This lead me to take a look at the newest kid on the block Rocket, rocket.rs. So far Rocket have worked very well for me.

For my Rustic Pizza I plan to also take a look at Iron, http://ironframework.io, as it is the most popular Rust web framework on github. Though it has not been updated as much lately compared to Rocket.

Hopefully if time allows I may get to look more in depth into Nickel, Conduit and Rustful as well.



Keep rusting?


Whether I will keep using Rust time will tell. Core Rust concepts such as ownership, references, memory management etc are not aspects I care to manually control and think about too much as I hope a compiler and garbage collector optimises and handles those for me. But I will keep at it so maybe Rust will accompany if not replace Scala as the main hammer in my toolbox some day.


No comments: